“Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent.” Psalm 71:9
As each of us age, we begin to experience challenges and difficulties we have never encountered before. Loneliness from losing loved ones, prevailing illnesses, and financial uncertainties may grip our daily lives. While we can be rest assured that God would not forsake us with age, we should strive to remember aging adults around us and acknowledge their contributions to society.
The following projects are some ideas and tips of how you can show Christ’s love to senior adults in your church and in the community.
- At least two team members should always work together on a project.
- Volunteers may need to purchase volunteer missionary insurance in case of an accident while working on a project.
- Engage in conversation with homeowners. Take time to pause from working and get to know the homeowners. Have prayer with them and/or take prayer requests.
- Be attentive to needs within that home that may require follow up from the pastor or other ministry groups.
- Be tactful and sensitive: some may be sensitive about having to ask for help.
- The team should meet together periodically for fellowship and updates, share testimonies, evaluate the effectiveness of the ministry, address other needs (e.g. recruit more workers) and make changes as necessary.