Change is happening again…or maybe it’s more appropriate to say that change is continuing to happen. In 1908, Woman’s Missionary Union voted in its annual session to create a missions education organization for boys and called it Royal Ambassadors. In 1957, the organization was transferred to the Brotherhood Commission which later was merged with other organizations into the North American Mission Board.
One hundred and three years following that initial decision, March 2011, the North American Mission Board announced an agreement with National WMU “to partner for day-to-day operations of the Royal Ambassadors missions education organization for boys in grades one through six” and also the Challengers program for middle- and high-school boys. The two entities continue to work together to determine exactly how this new partnership will look.
At this time, your state WMU and Baptist Men’s children & student consultants want to provide you with the details as we know them.
In the fall of 2012, the following curriculum/resources will be available from national WMU (www.wmustore.com or 800.968.7301):
- RA Leader—bi-monthly curriculum for boys, first through sixth grade
- RA Leader Kit—bi-monthly resources that correlate to the curriculum
- RA World—bi-monthly member magazine for boys, first through sixth grade
- Challengers Leader—annual curriculum for middle- and high-school boys (scheduled to release May 2012)
- Pins, Patches, Support Materials, Apparel and Accessories will be available from WMU as well as in LifeWay stores.
The preschool, children and youth materials will focus on the same missionaries each month and therefore enhance the opportunities your church has for family missions that relate to all children in the family. Each curriculum will be written specifically for the age and gender grouping of the members, so that it is appropriate and engaging to that group.
What do these changes mean for North Carolina?
- WMUNC will continue to provide outstanding support and activities to churches for girls and co-ed mission groups
- NC Baptist Men will continue to provide that same level of support and activities for all boys mission groups (training, statewide RA & Challengers events, etc.)
- WMUNC and NC Baptist Men will work together to coordinate additional training and mission events for children and students.
Please know that each of us is ready to assist you in making sure that all the children and youth of your church have the very best in missions education and involvement opportunities. Call on us for any questions you have and expect that we will send additional information as it becomes available.
Working together to create missionaries and missions learning today and tomorrow,
Tom Beam, Student Missions Mobilization Consultant, NCBM
Mark Moore, Director Camp Caraway for Boys/NC State Royal Ambassador Director, NCBM
Julie Keith, Youth Specialist, WMUNC
Gina Smith, Leadership Network Specialist for Children, WMUNC
Deborah Taylor, Leadership Network Specialist for Youth, WMUNC
Cara Lynn Vogel, Preschool & Children Specialist, WMUNC